Thursday, April 28, 2011

Growing Peppers


Had a bumper crop of peppers last year, also an early freeze in December, but it was fun growing them. For those of you that have asked me, peppers are easy to grow. I grow most of my peppers in containers. Containers offer portability, creativity and can be used where space is limited. The only drawback is that they need to be watered frequently. I try to keep a large shallow dish or container under the pots to make sure that they don’t dry out. Good drainage is the most important issue to consider. Always use good potting soil amended with compost and vermiculite. Do not use soil that you have digged from the garden; they could contain any number of undesirable insects. Any type of pot is good, just make sure that they have not been used for the storage of toxic materials. Always remember the most important factors that are essential for good plant development: Light, nutrition, water, soil and temperature. If you observe these simple requirements, you will be rewarded with a bountiful harvest! In North Central Florida this is a good time to get started, however it is a little late for seeds. Last year I was running late and not able to start my seeds early enough. I bought my plants from Cross Country Nurseries; their plants were healthy and arrived in excellent condition. I’m using them again this year, because lately running out of time has become the story of my life!  Scroll down for more pictures of chile plants

  Their website is:

 http://www.chileplants.com/

No comments: